Saturday, September 26, 2009

Home, again

The Boston Burning Truck was an excellent project and I’m happy to have been a part of it. We got everyone’s stuff delivered and returned mostly trouble free and the packing and unloading really didn’t even take that long all things considered. Great work!

Burning Man was…intense. It has taken me a while to be able to be able to write about my experience, clearly. They say that you can’t explain what Burning Man is, it’s something you have to experience for yourself. I disagree, but to be fair nearly everything I heard about Burning Man turned out to be different from my interpretation. So I will likely misrepresent the event as well, but I’m going to try.



The art was truly inspiring. There was quite a lot of very large scale freedom of expression the likes of which are nowhere close to anything I have encountered before. The climate was a very new one for me and the desert is definitely a hot place. However because I spent a few hours in Phoenix during a layover on my way to the Reno airport, it didn’t seem as crazy and oppressively hot as people were making it out to be. Phoenix is hotter by a long, long way. It also wasn’t as cold at night as I was led to believe. That’s when I realized that the Burning Man Survival Guide was written by people who live in and around California, not Canadians. My understanding of the word cold is quite a bit different and I was hilariously over packed with blankets, thermal blankets, winter clothing and such. It was as if I had packed for a Nunavut camping trip.

Overall the experience was a good one and I am very grateful to have been able to take part. It gave me a fresh perspective on the world and lifted the glass ceiling on the way I was thinking about my own art. Boiled down, I came home with a ton of great show ideas and you are going to love what comes next!

Next weekend I’m going back to Wildfire to teach the Fire Eating and Contact Fire classes there. I’m also traveling with a bunch of people from the Toronto scene which is extra exciting. The New England fire family has given a lot since I started down this road and I’m thrilled to be able to give some skills and awesome people back to the people that kicked it off for me in the first place. See you on the field!

No comments:

Post a Comment